Visit us at the official FLA-MOM website: http://flamom.floridadental.org/
On Friday, March 28 – Saturday, March 29, 2014, 300+ Dentists, Dental Specialists, Registered Dental Hygienists, and Physicians along with 1000+ support volunteers are needed to help treat between 1600-2000 patients! Please join us as for the first FLA Mission of Mercy (FLAMOM) event being held at the Special Events Pavilion of the Florida State Fairgrounds in Tampa.
We need volunteers!!! We are encouraging “Teams” of volunteers (professional, staff, and non-professional) from each of our Component & Affiliate within the FDA. We want everyone to be a part of this wonderful community service event and priceless volunteer experience. You can register today by following this link:http://www.rsvpbook.com/FLAMOM14
Volunteer positions include, but are not limited to the following:
Dentists: We are looking for general and specialized dentists, including pediatrics, endodontists, and oral surgery. The following dental services being provided include, but are not limited to
- General: Perform amalgam or composite resin fillings on patients who have already been numbed. Option to provide limited oral surgery if willing and able if you deem a tooth is not restorable.
- Prosthodontics: Dentists will take impressions and write up prescriptions for temporary partials and do placement of same.
- Pediatric Dentist: Children 10 and older will be treated in our pediatric department. Any children who arrive who are under 10 will be evaluated on an individual basis and will be seen based on the resources available.
- Anesthetic: Deliver local anesthetic to patients prior to them being seen in either the restorative or endo department.
- Dentist – Patient Exit: Dentists working in the patient exit area will not be providing any direct care. Rather, they will answer any questions patients may have about the treatment they received or about aftercare.
Hygienists: We need hygienists to help provide the following dental services that include, but are not limited to
- Dental Hygienist: Perform cleanings with or without a cavitron. Positions also available for pediatric section.
Assistants: We need assistants to help provide the following dental services that include, but are not limited to
- Assist dentists in restorative, oral surgery, pediatrics, adult pediatrics, or prosthodontic department. All assistants working as an assistant at the event should sign up for this shift regardless of which department you will be assisting in. Once onsite you will be paired with your employer dentist (or other dentist who has requested you). If he/she is not volunteering you will be paired with an available dentist. Assistants who work in a pediatrics or oral surgery practice will be given priority for open slots in those departments.
Other: Other dental volunteer slots that we need filled include, but are not limited to the following
- Sterilization: Perform all steps for proper sterilization of M.O.M. provided instruments and personal instruments used in the clinic by dentists and hygienists.
- Lab Technician: Fabricate or repair oral prosthetics – mainly treatment partials.
- Central Supply: Assist other volunteers in finding supplies they are looking for. Should have a fairly comprehensive understanding of dental supplies and dental terminology related to dental supplies/equipment.
- Hygiene Support: Help turn over chairs in the hygiene department by wiping down, running instruments to sterilization and gathering supplies as needed. No experience necessary. Must have had your heptavax shots.
- Radiology: Must be trained in panoramic or intraoral x-rays. Take or assist in taking panoramic or intraoral x-rays, or run the required computer software to print the x-rays.
- Dental Equip Tech: Start-up equipment and perform maintenance as needed on units. air. suction, water, handpieces and cavitrons.
Non-dental: We need many volunteers who can help us with non-dental volunteer services, including, but not limited to
- Patient Education: Provide basic oral health care education to patients while they wait to receive care.
- Crowd Control: Assist in keeping the patient line and waiting areas under control.
- Handyman (woman) / Sanitary Engineer: Empty trash bins, sweep, mop and perform other general odd jobs as needed. No experience necessary.
- Registration: This includes patient and/or volunteer registration.
- Patient Greeters: Welcome patients, provide name tags and patient numbers.
- Patient Ambassador: Escort patients between various department ensuring that no patient is left on their own at any time, run other onsite errands as needed by department leads or other volunteers.
- Translator: Translate between patients and volunteers in all departments to ensure patient has an understanding of what is being done.
- Patient Exit Area: Distribute patient goodie bags and assist patients in completing an online exit survey.
- Waiting Area Coordinator: Check in patients as they come into the department waiting area after they have been triaged and then moving them into the department by number to ensure a first come, first serve order.
- Hospitality: Serve and clean-up food and beverage service for patients and volunteers.
- Data Entry & Filing: Using scanners and computers, track the patient care that has been provided and file completed patient registration forms alphabetically. Look up returning patient records as needed. Basic knowledge of how to use a computer required.
Medical: Medical personnel are also needed to assist in the MOM event. Volunteer positions include, but are not limited to, the following
- Pharmacist: This includes pharmacy techs and students. Oversight of prescription intake, processing of prescriptions, prescription filling and patient counseling. Students will be supervised.
For a full listing of open volunteer positions please follow the below link to our volunteer registration page:http://www.rsvpbook.com/FLAMOM14